To remove pet hair from upholstery fabric.
1. Try purchasing a pet rake (a brush with straight nylon or rubber bristles)- velour brush, lint tape roller or even plain tape wrapped around your hand works great.
2. Use light, even strokes to remove the hair going right to left, left to right and up to down, down to up motion.
3. Another option is to try a slightly dampened rag (Not wet) as long as the dampness won't destruction the upholstery.
To remove pet hair from carpet fibers.
1. To remove pet hair from carpet, use a vacuum with a good beater bars, brush or brush roll system. 12amp or higher, because regular vacuums won't generate enough lift to remove all the pet hair from the floor.
2. Use a broom to sweep the corners of the room, so the vacuum can do what it was designed to do.
To help pet hair from forming on the upholstery or carpet, regular grooming on your pets hair will help keep the hair problem under control, but want get rid of the hair.
Another option for both upholstery and carpets - especially at the edges where pet hair tends to collect and vacuums have a hard time reaching - is a "pet sponge." These sponges, which are used dry, are available at any pet supply stores.